Gotcha! 9 Ways to Spot Shady Facial Plastic Surgeons
It’s one thing to buy a fabulous fake designer dress or handbag. It’s quite another to think you’ve found a qualified facial plastic surgeon, then learn that s/he is a phoney. As reported by ABC News, “While most of us assume medical procedures are tightly controlled, one segment of the industry has almost entirely escaped regulation.” That segment is facial plastic surgery, and the lack of regulation is hurting people.
Our founder Dr George Marcells has extensive experience in this field. With his help, we’ve created this article to give you special x-ray vision and let you see behind the smoke-and-mirrors of shady aesthetic providers.
Invaders from the Planet Sleazy
It’s easy to see that Australia is being over-run with men and women passing themselves off as facial plastic surgeons. Under-trained and sometimes completely untrained, self-proclaimed experts (another name for fakes) are constantly being exposed:
- Sydney Morning Herald – Fake medical practitioners perform cosmetic surgeries in Sydney flats and hotel rooms.
- The Australian – Authorities warn of a fake doctor working at a Melbourne cosmetic clinic.
- ABC News – Investigation uncovers illegal cosmetic surgery being performed by unqualified people in homes and hotel rooms.
Sadly, until a phoney is caught, s/he can do significant damage to facial plastic surgery patients. Don’t let this happen to you. Use the checklist below to inoculate yourself before you go to a doctor.
Patient’s Safety Checklist: How to Spot Fake Facial Plastic Surgeons
Run, don’t walk to the nearest exit if you encounter any of these things:
- A surgeon that doesn’t specialise in facial plastic surgery.
- S/he fails to ask you about your medical history, medications, and OTC drugs.
- S/he downplays the risks and complications associated with surgery.
- S/he pressures you to accept local anaesthesia.
- S/he performs complex procedures in a clinic, not a hospital.
- S/he doesn’t have privileges at local hospitals.
- S/he is offended when you say you want to get a second opinion.
- You feel pressured to have surgery ASAP.
- A doctor or facial plastic surgeon with bad reviews (or no reviews) on the Internet and a history of malpractice suits.
Seeing Is Believing
Whatever your chronological age, we encourage you to talk to our team. Our experts can offer suggestions for aesthetic maintenance and repair, along with ideas for preventing facial and skin ageing. If you’d like to know more about our extensive menu of surgical and non-surgical treatment options, please use our online enquiry form or call us on 1300 555 095 in Edgecliff.
Ask a question
Meet Dr Marcells
MBBS (Syd), FRACS (ORL-HNS)
Past President – Australasian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgeons
Dr George Marcells is known for excellence in facial plastic surgery and is considered a true master of rhinoplasty. He performs advanced surgical techniques to restore balance and harmony to the face and can also resolve functional issues such as breathing difficulties.