Facial Rejuvenation a Trois: Rhinoplasty Plus Plus
With science supporting its medical and cosmetic benefits, rhinoplasty has recently become the centrepiece of a trending 3-surgery approach to facial rejuvenation. The fact that all three procedures can be performed during the same procedure is the cherry on this anti-ageing cake.
Start with Rejuvenating Rhinoplasty
Scholars at Harvard University studied why your face ages and noted dozens of changes taking place as the years add up. Some are hidden deep within the body; others are right under our nose:
- The hairline retreats, creating an extra-large forehead
- Ear cartilage grows, enlarging the ear
- Nose tips droop because connective tissue supporting nasal cartilage weakens
The nose is at the centre of the action of an ageing face. That’s why rhinoplasty is such a valuable tool.
- What: Rhinoplasty, more commonly known as a nose job, is facial plastic surgery designed to improve nasal function and appearance.
- Who: People who dislike the function or appearance of their nose should visit a facial plastic surgeon and ask about rhinoplasty, regardless of their age. Today’s seniors are just as eager as younger people to make cosmetic changes. Dr Marcells has helped patients well into their golden years achieve very satisfying results.
- When: It’s time for rejuvenating rhinoplasty when your nose doesn’t seem to be working correctly or you wish to address a nasal hump, asymmetry, or a drooping nose tip that makes your face look old.
Buccal Fat Removal: Don’t Be Cheeky
Chubby cheeks are adorable on a baby. On adults, however, extra kilo’s can add extra years.
- What – A surgery to resection and reduce fat pads in the cheeks. An incision is made inside the mouth, between the cheek and gums, and excess fat is removed to improve the contours. The amount of fat removed is a critical aesthetic choice. A skilled facial plastic surgeon such as Dr Marcells has vast experience in making the right decision.
- Who – People who have lost the slender contouring, and hollow cheekbones of their youth can benefit from buccal fat removal. It’s not a good option for correcting nasolabial folds. They are better managed with dermal fillers.
- When – Buccal fat removal is appropriate if you feel like you have chipmunk cheeks or want more contours in your face. Age is not a factor.
Platysmaplasty: Goodbye to Neck Bands
- What: This surgical approach to neck lift rejuvenation (there are others) repairs and tightens an ageing platysma muscle. Platysmaplasty draws loose, sagging skin taut. It rejuvenates an ageing neck by restoring its original, more aesthetically pleasing contours.
- Who: Men and women over 50 whose necks are literally showing their age. The American Society of Plastic Surgery reports that the procedure is most popular with patients 50-64. More and more, however, people over 65 have a growing interest in all types of plastic surgery procedures
- Why: Platysmaplasty is performed when a patient’s central neck platysma muscle is pulled apart at the midline in a condition known as “significantly diastatic.” The midline pull creates the deep neckbands associated with an ageing face.
What Does Your Face Say About You?
If neck wrinkles, puffy cheeks, a droopy nose tip and other signs of facial ageing are dragging you down along with your skin, you should talk to Dr Marcells. He can help you explore a vast range of surgeries and non-surgical treatments, too. We’re here for you, so please call soon.
Ask a question
Meet Dr Marcells
MBBS (Syd), FRACS (ORL-HNS)
Past President – Australasian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgeons
Dr George Marcells is known for excellence in facial plastic surgery and is considered a true master of rhinoplasty. He performs advanced surgical techniques to restore balance and harmony to the face and can also resolve functional issues such as breathing difficulties.