Dr George Marcells Serves Up Foods For Your Face
As a medical doctor, I’m interested in everything that keeps my patients’ bodies in tip-top shape, and my own body, too! It’s one of the reasons that I’ve chosen to follow the Paleo Diet. When I eat meats, fish, nuts, greens, veggies, and seeds, and stay away from processed carbs, I feel great.
I also use food to look great, too. That may surprise you given the fact that About Face is a cosmetic surgery practice. I think of healthy eating as my low-tech approach to skincare in an age of high-tech facial rejuvenation.
Studies have shown clear links between certain nutrients and wrinkle reduction, skin radiance, and acne prevention. In fact, according to a recent article on the Huffington Post,
“Some studies indicate that it is indeed possible to delay aging and get an improvement in skin condition by improving your diet.”
That’s good news, indeed! Here’s more…
Feed Your Face: 3 Dermatologist-Recommended Foods for Good Skin
If you want to have glowing skin, I hope you’ll visit About Face in Bondi Junction for professional grade skin care. Between visits, we hope you’ll make a point of giving your body an adequate supply of essential nutrients every day.
At the same time, you need to mind your caloric intake and stay away from foods that are high in calories but low in nutrition. Making this kind of positive change doesn’t require a dramatic change in your diet. All you really need to do is
Eat more colourful fresh fruits and veggies
to nourish your skin and help it glow
We eat with our eyes as well as our mouths, and I love a plate of food that is blazing with colour. My stand-by favourites include these skin-friendly super foods:
- Avocados – High in good-for-face fats, avocados are also rich in the substance glutathione. It’s useful for flushing toxins out of your system and can be especially helpful in addressing acne issues.
- Spinach – Popeye had huge muscles thanks to spinach, which probably gave him great skin, too!
- Tomatoes – The misunderstood fruit that we treat like a vegetable, tomatoes are bursting with vitamin C which helps you build collagen to plump and firm your skin.
Avocados, spinach, and tomatoes have earned the distinction of being labelled “super foods.” A super food delivers a super-duper amount of nutrition into every low-calorie bite.
Magazines Provide a Baker’s Dozen of Great Foods for Healthy Skin
- Almond Milk
- Citrus fruits
- Grass fed beef
- Yellow bell peppers
Dr Marcells Super-Food Salad for Super-Fine Skin
Salads make it easy to load up on nutrition in a single meal.
Here’s a recipe you can try tonight:
What you’ll need for the salad:
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- ½ an avocado
- ½ ripe nectarine
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup raw pecans
- 6 oz. fresh wild salmon with skin or your favourite fish
- 1-2 tsp. avocado oil
What you’ll need for the dressing:
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tsp walnut oil
- ¼ tsp Paleo Dijon-style mustard
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
What you’ll do with the ingredients:
- Preheat the oven to 400° degrees.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium high heat until very hot.
- Add the avocado oil. Once melted, place the salmon skin side down in the centre of the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook the salmon until it feels firm to the touch with your finger, about 2-4 minutes depending on thickness.
- While the salmon cooks assemble the spinach with the remaining ingredients, chopping the nectarine, tomatoes, avocado, and pecans into pieces.
- In a separate small bowl, blend the freshly squeezed lemon juice with the Dijon-style mustard, and slowly whisk in the walnut oil to emulsify. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Dress the spinach salad with the vinaigrette and top with the salmon.
For more recipes like this, Loren Cordain has more on his website http://thepaleodiet.com/.
When Diet & Exercise Aren’t Enough for Facial Rejuvenation
Changing your diet is just one of many things you can do to keep your skin looking flawless as you age. At About Face, we offer a wide range of affordable, effective surgical treatments as well as
- Volume Augmentation with Dermal Fillers
- Wrinkle Treatments with Muscle Relaxants
- Micro Peels
- Photo Rejuvenation
There are many things we can do at About Face to improve your appearance when lifestyle changes can’t. Would you like to know more? If so, please use our online enquiry form or call us on 1300 555 095.
Ask a question
Meet Dr Marcells
MBBS (Syd), FRACS (ORL-HNS)
Past President – Australasian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgeons
Dr George Marcells is known for excellence in facial plastic surgery and is considered a true master of rhinoplasty. He performs advanced surgical techniques to restore balance and harmony to the face and can also resolve functional issues such as breathing difficulties.