Checklist – What to Ask Your Surgeon Before Having a Facelift
Feeling renewed and refreshed following a facelift is exhilarating. But before exhilaration, there’s a vital step that many people find terrifying: finding the right surgeon.
“But Dr. Marcells, I don’t know what I don’t know!”
Don’t worry. This post shares the questions you absolutely need to ask your surgeon before you dive into a facelift, as well as some of the answers you should expect to hear.
Feel Free to Ask
Do you feel hesitant asking your surgeon questions? You shouldn’t. A good surgeon knows that the secret to achieving optimum results is communication. Think of your relationship with your surgeon as a partnership where you work together to achieve realistic goals.
Articulating your goals, expectations and motivation will help both of you determine whether facelift surgery is the right choice for you.
Facelift Questions about Your Surgeon
During your preliminary consultation, you may use these facelift questions to determine the competency and qualifications of your surgeon:
Were you specifically trained in the field of facial plastic surgery?
- What certifications have you achieved?
- How many facelifts have you performed? Experience, though not the only factor to consider, is invaluable.
- Where and how will you perform my procedure?
- What are the risks and complications associated with a facelift? In explaining the risks to you, your surgeon should also let you know how complications are handled.
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at? No two patients are alike, but photos can illuminate what results may reasonably be expected.
Facelift Questions About YOU
Articulating your goals, expectations and motivation for having a facelift will help both you and your surgeon determine whether facelift surgery is the right choice for you. To that end, you should ask and understand the answers to these questions:
- What surgical technique is recommended for me? Why?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure? Your surgeon should consider both your physical and mental health, and evaluate whether your goals are realistic.
- What will be expected of me to get the best results? Learn about things you can do before surgery, as well as aftercare activities that promote healing.
- How can I expect my face to look over time? Your surgeon will help you manage your expectations by giving you a realistic view of what you will achieve.
The #1 Facelift Question on Your Mind
No one wants to be dissatisfied after surgery. By asking the right questions and developing an open communication with a qualified facial plastic surgeon you can avoid disappointment and dissatisfaction.
It is imperative to discuss all aspects of your procedure including the risks and complications.